Magento is among one of the popular platforms for the open source technology that is preferred as the most favourable eCommerce platform. With the rise in its popularity, Magento has experienced constant updates and developments resulting in different versions. This has been done to offer increased flexibility as well as customized options to the business so that it can gain maximum benefit by increasing sales as well as revenue. On the other hand, the customers can also enjoy increased benefits and greater convenience while shopping from eCommerce stores.
Here, with this post, we are going to discuss one such update and the latest one upgrade Magento 1.7 to 1.9. The Magento community follows a definite path for upgrading your Magento store and as there is a unique nature of each store, it is quite easy to run into errors or compilations. As a result, if you are heading towards updating the Magento 1.7 version to Magento 1.9 version, you can follow below-mentioned 5 simplified steps for an easy and safe update.
So, let us have a look at those 5 simplified steps:
- Step #1: Make sure you have a Dev environment : Before proceeding further to this step, you must first understand what is a Dev environment. Generally, depending on the web host that you have, you can clone the live site. This can be done either free or just for a small fee. This clone helps you with the necessary editing in order to make changes on the dev environment without hindering or altering the live site. As a result, the live site will remain unaffected if something breaks or any problem is found.
- Step #2: Take backup of your database and the Magento files : It is quite risky and at the same time critical to take backup of your app folder as it stores third party modules and the custom theme. You must take backup of all the necessary files of this folder without fail. This can be done through the SSH or downloading the folder through FTP or file manager. In short, you must ensure that you have a backup of your app folder that would include everything from the js, skin, media, lib as well as package folders too.
- Step #3: Uploading Magento 1.9 files to the Dev Magento environment : After taking the necessary backup, you can upload the Magento 1.9 files for setting up a newer version of Magento interface. Without worrying about custom modules or the themes being overwritten and can be safely uploaded through the FTP or SSH section. You need to upload all the contents of your previous Magento version to the root Magento of the newer version, that is 1.9 version. All the files will be replaced and run through the URL of the domain in order to see your site operating normally.
- Step #4: Taking backup of database as well as App folder : As you upload the necessary files in the new upgraded version of Magento, that is 1.9 version it will load without errors. If in case something goes wrong with the version 1.9 upgrade, the first thing you must do is backup the database as well as app folder. After this, you can look for the reason behind the errors and can proceed for re-installation of the newer version.
- Step #5: Adding Magento 1.9 files to the root web : This step is similar to the step #3. But in this step, you need to upload the files from version 1.9 to the root web and as soon as you are done with this you can redirect the browser to the home page. Next thing to do is visiting the admin and check the footer that will display Magento 1.9 version.
With the Magento version upgrade, the compatibility of extensions are also done automatically. In short, the updated version works with the most compatible extensions meant for that version. For an instance, consider the “myextensionfolder” extension name that is installed with Magento 1.7 version. The coding structure would look like-
With the installation of Magento 1.9 version, with the minor editing in the coding, the extension would be compatible with the whole Magento API structure. As a result, the final coding would be:
This is how the compatibility of extensions can be maintained through Magento 1.7 version to the Magento 1.9 version.
Thus, this is how one can upgrade Magento 1.7 to 1.9 version successfully. If in case you come across any issue or require any further consultation, you can contact us- the Kodematix who is a leading eCommerce service provider. So, what are you waiting for? Just get started now! Good luck!!