A Novice Guide On How To Boost The Speed Of Your WordPress Blog

It feels annoying when you spend many hours writing the best content, promoting your posts and you end up with your blogs being penalized with lower rankings by Google.

Being a non-techy, you might start thinking that your blog is not well-designed or the content is not much competitive. Due to this, you start to doubt on your capabilities and make different changes a couple of times, and yet nothing improves – The reason may be the speed.

In this post, we will show you how to speed up WordPress blog by sharing our web performance strategies and recommendations.

Why Is Speed Important and How It Impacts On Your Conversion Rates?

WordPress is the most popular and an amazing blogging platform, but it can be quite annoying when your blog takes more that 3 seconds to load properly. You only have 3-5 seconds to convince someone to continue reading, every second in delay may get you 7% lesser conversions, 11% fewer page views and 16% decrease in customer satisfaction. That’s the reason, why Google is using the page speed as one of the key factors in its algorithm.

website-load-time-vs-conversion

Begin With An Optimized Framework

What is a good theme or a framework? This is an important point to consider. If the base is built on the shaky framework, everything on the top will collapse. If you can get an optimized framework, it will save you a lot of hassle in improving the speed.

So, simply explore some good frameworks on the Internet to start with. Once you have an optimized framework to work with, you can move on to the next point. You might want to make some changes to the style but that’s how it works.

Use a Caching Plugin To Save Time

Caching plugins are the most popular and favourite ones from the WordPress directory. With the caching plugin, your blog loading time will gradually decrease without any extra efforts from your side. The best thing is that most of them are free. They are a really great option to try.

Optimize the Images

Maximum of the page load time is spent on downloading the images. This includes the images on your blog post and various images in the design. That’s the reason, why an optimized framework is important. For optimizing the images regularly on your blog you can:

image-optimization

1. Add a plugin WPSmash it to optimize the images as you upload them.
2. Upload the images first and optimize it on a image resize tool
3. And finally upload the images on the blog

These plugins are a great resource for optimizing the images as they help reduce the image sizes by 30% without compromising on the quality.

Optimize the Database

The next important part that needs optimization is the database itself. There are many different things like spam comments, post revisions and other things which you need to remove from time to time. It’s like the unwanted things that needs to be taken out. WP-Optimize plugin is a good tool to use and there are many other tools which you can use for different blogs.

Diagnose Plugins That Cost You Time

The best advantage of WordPress platform is that you can add number of free plugins for any task you need to accomplish. You can easily find a tool to help you with any complicated tasks. But, by adding more plugins, you’ll find that the page loading speed will drastically increase.

How can you know that which tool affects your page load and which don’t?

That’s where this plugin comes in place. P3 Profiler is a great plugin that will help you identify where are you wasting your visitor’s time and eventually you’ll discover some tools which aren’t worth it and reducing the page load speed.

Lazy Load Images

No doubt, Adding images to your blog is a great way to keep people engaged and read through the whole post. On the other hand, it is also the main reason which increases the page loading time and people may leave your site without reading it because of the lower page speed. Not only that, you’ll also waste a lot of bandwidth for the people who’re not reading your whole post.

lazy-loading

Here comes the concept of lazy load. It is very simple, only the images at the top will be downloaded first, and the others will be downloaded as the users scroll down. So, the initial page load is very low. There’s a great plugin lazy load, which is very useful to lazy load. Simply install, activate and you’re done.

In a Nutshell

It is essential to increase your page speed, but many people would simply mess up with the code. That’s the reason, I’ve written this post. I‘ve put my efforts to make it as non-techy as possible. Most of the issues can be solved without adding a single line of code. You can enhance your WordPress blog’s speed by 90% with various tools and solve the remaining 10% with coding.

Finally, follow the above tips to get a boost in SEO ranking and your visitors will actually start reading your content. This could be an ultimate edge to boost your site’s traffic.

Leave a Reply